Top Alternatives to Appealing a Civil Suit Judgement
Jan 18 2023 0

Top Alternatives to Appealing a Civil Suit Judgement

When a civil dispute goes to trial, there are two possible outcomes; either you will be successful in securing the verdict you desired, or you won’t. If the outcome of your case was not what you intended, that does not mean that you are out of options to obtain a better result. A civil litigation lawyer will be able to advise you on what choices and courses of action you may have to remedy your situation.

In California, the Los Angeles civil litigation attorneys at the Leiva Law Firm can help you with your civil disputes. If it makes sense to file for an appeal of the verdict or if there are other alternatives that may be applicable to correct a judgment, then your attorney will help you throughout every step of the way.

What Can I Do After I Lose a Civil Suit?

Top Alternatives to Appealing a Civil Suit JudgementYou may have a case to file an appeal of your judgment. However, there might be other solutions that will work better for you. Some of these include

  1. File a Motion for Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict to make the argument that the verdict that was handed down to you was not correct and should be overturned. Here, you are asking for the trial court to change the judgment for your benefit.
  2. File a Motion to Correct a Clerical Error to update and fix mistakes in a written judgment.
  3. File a Motion to Vacate can be appropriate in certain situations and will result in the court withdrawing a judgment.
  4. File a Motion to Amend a judgment can, in certain instances, be used to change a judgment.
  5. File a Motion for Relief from judgment can absolve a judgment if new evidence was found or if there was excusable neglect that occurred, which would not have been found quickly enough to set a new trial.
  6. File a Motion for a New Trial can be used in certain situations. For example, if there was some type of legal mistake made or if jury wrongdoing existed, a new trial may be warranted.

Post-trial actions can be fairly complex for most people, and there are strict deadlines for taking action. When trial litigation does not go the way you want, there might be other things you can do to secure your desired outcome. Your attorney will be able to talk to you about any other steps you can take, aside from appealing, that could be advantageous.

Speak with an Attorney at the Leiva Law Firm Today

If the judgment you received after your civil suit was not what you thought it would be or is one that you believe is incorrect, you may be able to change it. It could be possible to appeal the decision, or in other instances, there could be a motion that you can file before you start the appeals process. Your attorney can explain to you what legal options may be available.

For help with a civil suit in California, please consider reaching out and calling the Los Angeles civil attorney at the Leiva Law Firm at (818) 519-4465. During your free consultation, you can discuss your legal predicament.

You Might Also Like